The International Students and Scholars Office
International House North 524 Riverside Drive, Ground Floor
Phone: 212-854-3587 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org isso.columbia.edu
Columbia University, continuing its tradition as a preeminent world center of learning, welcomes more than 15,000 students, post-graduate interns, researchers, professors and accompanying family members from over 160 countries.
The ISSO serves the immigration and documentation related needs of students and scholars at Columbia. They issue Certificates of Eligibility (form I-20/DS-2019) that admitted students need to apply for F and J student visas.
After students arrive on campus, ISSO advisers take part in their school or department’s new student orientation program by providing an immigration information session.
Throughout the year, the ISSO monitors federal regulations relevant to international students and broadcasts timely alerts and updates through the ISSO website and ISSOnews messages sent to students' Columbia email addresses.
The ISSO provides:
• travel signatures on I-20s for students who will travel and return from a trip abroad during their program
• employment-related workshops and webinars
• documentation needed for Social Security number applications
• information sessions by nationally recognized immigration attorneys on employment-based visas after student status
• tax workshops (February - April)
• tax preparation softwarefor international students who are nonresidents for federal tax purposes