Financial Aid for Graduate Study


The academic departments of Columbia Engineering and the Office of Student Financial Planning seek to ensure that all academically qualified students have enough financial support to enable them to work toward their degree. Possible forms of support for tuition, fees, books, and living expenses are: institutional grants, fellowships, teaching and research assistantships, on- or off-campus employment, and student loans. The Office of Student Financial Planning assists students with developing financing plans for completing a degree.

Columbia University graduate funds are administered by two separate branches of the University, and the application materials required by the two branches differ. Institutional grants, fellowships, and teaching and research assistantships are all departmentally-administered funds. Questions regarding these awards should be directed to your academic department. Federal Student Loans (Unsubsidized and Graduate PLUS) and private student loans are administered by the Office of Student Financial Planning. Questions about loans should be directed to the financial aid office. Further information can be found here.