Minor in Computer Science
Students who pass the Computer Science Advanced Placement Exam A with a 4 or 5 will receive 3 points and exemption from COMS W1004. Taking COMS W1007 is recommended but not required for those students exempt from COMS W1004. Participation in the minor is subject to the approval of the major program adviser. For further information, please see the QuickGuide here.
Beginning with the class of 2023, the CS core requirements will change as noted below. The following are required courses toward the CS Core for the class of 2023 and beyond:
1. COMS W1004: Intro to computer science and programming in Java (3)
or COMS W1007: Honors intro to comp sci (3)
2. COMS W3134: Data structures in Java (3)
or COMS W3137: Honors data structures and algorithms (4)
3. COMS W3157: Advanced programming (4)
4. COMS W3203: Discrete mathematics (4)
5. COMS W3261: Comp science theory (3)
6. CSEE W3827: Fund of computer systems (3)
or a 4000-level COMS technical elective
7. One course from the following: Computational linear algebra: COMS W3251 (4) (recommended); Linear algebra: MATH UN2010 or APMA E3101 or APMA E2101; Probability statistics: STAT UN4001 or IEOR E4150.