Other Financial Aid—Federal and Private Programs

U.S. citizens and permanent residents enrolled at least half-time in a degree-granting program are eligible to apply for federal student loans. To apply for federal student loans, students should complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA ) using Columbia University’s school code 002707 by May 5 for fall enrollment

Several private student loan programs are available to both U.S. citizens and international students. These loans require that you have a good credit standing. International students may be eligible for a private loan with a creditworthy U.S. citizen or permanent resident cosigner.

Detailed information and application instructions for student loans may be found at the Office of Student Financial Planning website at sfs.columbia.edu/ sfp-grad-engin.

Determination of your eligibility for financial aid is based in part on the number of courses for which you register. If you enroll in fewer courses than you initially reported on the loan request form, your loan eligibility may be reduced.

The FAFSA, planned enrollment form, and the loan request form must be completed each academic year, and you must maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined in The Graduate Programs section in order to remain eligible for federal student loans.